Monday, January 24, 2011

Simple pleasures

 If you know me well, you probably have heard me talk about how much I love waffles...and good waffles must be made on a FLAT waffle iron. Growing up, it was a tradition to gather at my Granny's for Christmas morning waffles. Not just any waffles...whole wheat waffles. The best ever in my eyes. It's a memory I will always have of my Granny. Anyway, for the past 9 years I have been looking for a flat waffle iron. Belgian is good...but not like my Granny's good. I looked online, at every store that carried appliances and every time I pop into a thrift store I have to peek at their appliances...no such luck...till this weekend!!

Look at this beauty!!!
 This past weekend I was needing to make a Nephi costume for primary, so the fam all took a trip to the thrift store. I know...the dream saturday night activity right?? I found the perfect curtains to make my Nephi costume...and next thing you know Noah comes up and says close your eyes! And he hands me THE waffle iron! I was soooo excited! And it's in such good condition!


 Best part about it...$4.98!
I didn't get a chance to use it yesterday because of early meetings and church but you can count on this thing getting plenty of use around here. 
Other finds at the thrift store that night: bike for Ronan, set of curtains (costume), laptop toy and barbie horse that the kids could not live without all for under $30! Score!

6 comments:

vanessak said...

I was pulling up your blog and Noah says, "remember them!" Sad..
:( You love the good deals.. especially when you're living on student loans! I can't tell you how funny it is living in Mexico and how excited I get over the deals and how bummed I get when they wanna charge so much for things that are so cheap in the States. I love the picture with the boys. I can't believe how different they look! So handsome. Miss you guys!

Katrina said...

AWESOME DEALS!!!! I love a good thrift store! Sad that I haven't been to a single one since we've lived in PA! I think I know what we are doing today after our Sams's run!! Thanks for the motivation!!

See it Try it Love it said...

that is so funny. I am the exact same. Waffles at my grandmas was always my favorite, and she had the best flat waffle iron, which I have been looking for forever, then on Thanksgiving she gave it to me. The rest of my fam is so mad! I have been looking for more so the rest of my family can all have one!

Anonymous said...

Congrats Jill! Glad you found the flat waffle iron. I actually prefer flat waffles too. Score at the thrift store! P.S. I am jealous you guys got to go to AZ for Christmas. Looks so fun!

Flaherty Fam said...

That is hilarious! I have never even heard of a flat waffle maker, but I'm so glad you were able to finally find one. Oh, and I love the cute pic of your sleeping boys...precious.

The Allens said...

Hey Jill! I too am a fan of the thrift store! When we moved to Idaho I could not afford to outfit 5 boys with real winter clothes, so I headed to DI. Man that place is a hidden jewel. So many treasures! Everytime I go I get so excited what I find! Just so you know I finally updated my blog after about 2 years. I'm going to go private soon so leave me a post if you want me to send you a invite to veiw my blog. Love your family pic on the beach!