Friday, January 2, 2009

2008...a year to remember

I can't believe 2009 is really here. It always feels weird saying a new year. One of my favorite things about the New Year is all the shows that do the clips on the last year. I've been thinking back about my 2008 and I know it will be one of those years I will never forget. I'm so grateful for all the events that have taken place because they have made me and my family that much stronger and have been able to take something from each situation and learn from it. 2008 was a very big year for us. We had some amazing things happen and some not so great.


We started our 2008 in the PICU at Banner Samaritan with Sadie. She had emergency surgery on her intestines. She had a Congenital band around the bowel part of her intestine that had closed up and had got infected which was making her throw everything up and not let anything go through. It was the scariest time of my life not knowing what was going on and not being able to do anything. Well, we got through it after a long 10 day hospital stay and it has not bothered her since. We know that even though it was the hardest hurdle we've crossed yet, we were truly blessed along every step of the experience. Especially with her surgeon. We know his intuition to do the surgery was inspired.




Next came our little angel boy, Ronan. Noah totally talked me into having a third child (I wanted to wait longer) and now I can't imagine life without him. He is the sweetest little guy ever and I have loved every second of him. All though 3 is crazy most of the time I definitely think I have gotten better at this whole parenting thing. I think back when Brody was a baby and I really didn't know what I was doing. But I guess he turned out just fine.


A few months after that we were back in the hospital with Sadie! Ya, the girl gets freaked out if you even mention the world hospital or Dr. On our way walking up to the gym one morning she was hit by a car. It sounds way worse than it was but it still was very very scary. She was rushed by ambulance to the hospital because they didn't know if she had head trauma. After a few hours, some x-rays and a banged up nose she was able to go home. After that happened I told my self we are never going anywhere again and we will stay home all day so nobody can get hurt again!...but that didn't last too long.



Next, Brody started his first day of Elementary school. Man, that made me feel old! It was a little sad thinking about him starting his first day of the next 13+ years of school. I'm so grateful he gets to go with one of his best buddies Bailey Krassow. He has loved everything about school and just adores his teacher, Mrs. Swanson.


And on to the last big event of the 2008 year is when Noah decided to go to Law School. About 4 months ago he came home from work and that night he just casually says.."I had lunch with Jason today and I think I'm gonna go to Law School". I was completely shocked and tried for a week to talk him out of it. But he is set on it and is now starting the application process. We will be moving out of state to go to school but won't find out where for a couple months. It will be so hard to leave our family and friends, and our amazing street that we love so much but we both know it will be a great opportunity and will make us that much stronger. We are both so excited. We will move sometime at the end of the summer...:(

Some other big events in 2008:
My brother Justin's wedding
Grant being born
T-dub being born
Hunter being born
Nat finding out she is pregnant
Holly finding out she is pregnant
Brody's first (hopefully last) root canal
Sadie starting pre-school

Can't wait to see what 2009 brings!

12 comments:

Casey said...

I love your "look back". Oh that picture of poor Sadie in her hospital bed. You showed such strength getting through that - I would have been a complete mess! And little Ronan...I still get weekly updates by the kids on what Ronan is doing (crawling, standing, etc.) I get sad thinking of you guys moving. I think the kids have made some lasting memories though. Especially Brody and Bailey, they will for sure remember living on this street with all of their friends. We love you guys!

Janel said...

NO! You can't move! Oh well who am I to talk, but still!! You guys did have a crazy year, I loved your recap. :D

Anonymous said...

Hooray I just Re-found your blog im so happy! you have the freaking cutest family!! Lets be friends:) ha

Krystal Arnett said...

Jill, what a fun post. I agree 2008 was a crazy year. I am so glad Sadie Lady is back to her normal, michievious, cute little self. I love all the pics in this and the last post. I know what you mean. I am so behind on blogging too and I haven't done it because I am so overwhelmed. I don't know where to start.

Maren said...

i dont understand why you would want to relive 2008 with all the craziness! (check out your very last sentence again!) congrats on the big move. i actually am jealous. i would love to move out of state, something new and different. can i buy your house? : )

Flaherty Fam said...

You guys sure had one heck of a 2008...mostly good, except the hospital trips. I can't believe you guys have decided to go to law school...good for you. I say "guys" because it sure takes the whole fam to really make it through. We sure will miss you, but wish you luck and can't wait to find out where you'll be going.

The Tyler's said...

Ha ha ha Maren! I'm such an idiot that I didn't even realize I put 2008...or anyone else for that matter. Thanks for pointing it out for me. And I need to be added to your blog..so hopefully you see this!!
jilltyler99@yahoo.com

Maddy said...

What a year!!! I would have to say the highlight of Sadie's year has definitely been baby Ronan.

We're going to miss you guys so much. Please don't move.

☂niki. said...

a big year indeed! i have a feeling 2009 is going to bring on some crazy adventures for you guys;)

Anonymous said...

What a year! I'm so glad Sadie is feeling good and doing fine. Wow - I can't believe Noah is going to Law School. Better now than when your 40! How exciting/scary to find out where you will be moving to. Good luck with the process! Such a fun adventure!!

Amy F. said...

Wow, what a year is right. I'm grateful we got to be there, in some ways, to experience it with you guys. You guys made it such an awesome year for us. Thank you so much.
I still can't think about you moving without getting teary eyed. Just ask Shawn, I get emotional every time. I'm so proud of you guys.
Sorry it took me this long to catch up on your blog. Been a little busy/sick/distracted -but everything is good!
I think 2009 will be an awesome year. I hope you and Noah get to go on as many dates as possible while you have all your friends and family around to baby-sitt ;)! Enjoy this time, as I'm sure you will! (oh, and in case you didn't notice, I think you meant to put "...what 2009 brings", hee hee)
Love ya!

Amy F. said...

(oh, sorry, you DID notice! Silly me ;)