Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Baking with Wheat

Ok, so I love getting fun new recipes from all your blogs so I thought I would share some of my own. I have been obsessed with baking with wheat lately and here are some of my favorites.

Whole Wheat Bread
In Bosch mixer with dough hook:
6c. warm water, approx. 115degrees
2TBS. Sea salt (I use regular salt)
2/3c. Canola oil
2/3c. Honey
3TBS. Dough Enhancer
2c. High Gluten Bread flour or 1/3c. Vital Wheat Gluten
3TBS. SAF instant yeast
6-8c. Fresh ground flour (to begin with)

Mix well on speed 1 and continue to add wheat only until the dough begins to pull away from the sides of the bowl. When you can see the sides pull clean as well as the dough coming clean from the bottom of the bowl you know you have enough flour. The dough should be very sticky.
Knead on speed 1 for 8-10 min.
Oil your hands, remove dough from mixer onto a slightly oiled counter, divide your dough into 4-5 loaves depending on your pan size.
Shape loaves and place in a well greased or sprayed (Pam) pan. Cover with a dry towel and let rise until dough has risen double. This should take 30-60 min.
Bake in preheated oven at 350 degrees for 30-35 min.
The bread can be frozen up to 30 days without freezer burn.


Waffle and Pancake mix
10c. Whole wheat flour
4c. white flour
1/2c. Sugar
1/2c. Baking powder
2c. powdered milk
4tsp. salt
Store in airtight container in a cool place.

For recipe to serve 6-8 people:
4c. Baking mix
4 Beaten eggs
1/2c. Oil
3 1/2c. Water
Mix all ingredients together and use a wire whip to blend. Get ready for the best waffles you will ever eat!!

2 comments:

See it Try it Love it said...

Well the bread recipe seems way to advanced for me, but I better learn since Steve just told me he loved homeade wheat bread. But I can do the pancake one, so I will definitely try. Thanks for the recipes.

Dallas and Krista said...

Mmm I will have to try the waffles- the bread may be a little too complicated for me :>)