Saturday, August 1, 2009

The good is out weighing the bad

We made it safe and sound! It's been 2 full days for us here and I think it's gonna be a keeper. We have been going non stop unpacking and trying to get settled. It's been exhausting but I know when things are done it will be all worth it.

So a my friend Maddy taught me that when you tell about a trip you tell all the bad parts first so that when it comes to the good parts things will sound really good.

So I'll start with the bad news:

-Still no hot water. Major major bummer. They came to turn on the gas when it was just Noah and the Dad's here and they had gone to get dinner so the city said they will come out on the 4th. So no hot baths for the kids, hot shower for us, no dishes, no cooking, and whatever else you use gas for.


-It's been really tricky trying to fit a 2400 sq. ft. house into a 1500 sq. ft. house.

-It rains every day.
-The humidity makes you want to take a shower every couple hours.

-Oh ya this is a biggy...Noah's transmission in his truck got ruined on the way here. He can still drive it but you have to automatically shift it. It needs a new transmission sooner rather than later that is going to cost a minimum of a grand! Yikes!

-The rodes are CRAZY here! I am really nervous for when I have to go out on my own to a new place. I know for sure I'm going to get lost.

On to the good stuff!

-It's beautiful here.

-We love the house and is sooo cute! It is really old which gives it have so much character. For instance this blue bath tub and tiles. Real wood floors throughout the whole house, which is a fun change from our slate flooring that I hated to clean.


-We have finished unpacking all the boxes and have about 85% put away. I've decided having a smaller house makes your house more cute because you put all your cutest stuff out and all the ugly stuff in storage in the garage.

-We are saving money by not getting Internet, cable or phone set up..BUT Noah figured out how to tether our computer from his Iphone! (which I guess is a big deal...even his brother Justin didn't know how to do that...which says alot!) So for the tv...we get the basics...3 5 10 12 etc. (except in V.B. channels. I haven't figured it all out yet)

-The kids love it here. My dad and Noah's dad took all 3 kids to the beach yesterday and then rented a fun 5 seater bike and they were in heaven. We spent a few more hours at the beach today so now the kids think it is an everyday event.


(Yes I am fully clothed at the beach. I was too tired to get into my swimsuit and new there would be many more days at the beach. And yes my Dad has a shirt on his head. He forgot his hat).

Hope eveyone is doing good and I will post more pics soon.






-

20 comments:

Ann said...

Hey Jill! I'm so glad for your update! It sounds like you are doing better at getting settled in than we are! We miss you all!

Cara said...

We missyou already but are glad you got there safely. Cant wait until the holidays were we can get together and I can love on little Ronan

Casey said...

Love the pictures! The house is so cute and I love the blue bath tub/tiles. It reminds of the houses where we grew up. I know Noah has navigation on his phone, you should try to get a TomTom so that you don't get lost. No gas? What???? Well at least you're almost there, tomorrow's the 3rd. Keep posting!!!!!!!

Janel said...

YAY! An update! Moving is ALways so much stinkin work! You'll be through it all soon enough and all settled in. Love the cute house, make sure to take lots of pics when you get it all put together, I want to see it all!!

☂niki. said...

the good is definitely sounding really good! we miss you though! your house is so cute! can't wait to come and visit;)

Krystal Arnett said...

I'm glad to see a post so soon. We miss you guys so much. Can't wait to visit and see everything in person. I want to see pictures of every room in the house when you have everything done. Sounds so cute! Talk to ya soon!! We love you.

Mamacita said...

Glad you made it safe and sound! VA Beach is sooo much fun, but you're not kidding about the humidity!
Looks like you're having a great time and the good is definitely outweighing the bad.
I pulled Brody's stick at primary today...it made me sad. (I stuck it back in the pot).

Hess Fam said...

WOW! You're like a realy pioneer! Are you boiling water for the kids bath? Or are they okay with the cold? That is a huge bummer. We just had to do the whole transmission thing and $2500 later was a major bummer.
Your house is so so fun. The green trees are amazing. You will love having the charm of your old house. The beach really is so much effort sometimes but also so fun to live so close. I'm glad you are adjusting well. Miss you!

Brooke Colvin said...

I'm so glad you guys made it there OK and are 85% unpacked! That is the worst part about moving, but the best part in the end when everything is organized. How fun to live close to a beach and to have beautiful scenery everywhere too. Good luck with the transmission and your last day without hot water. At least it's not winter!

S and K said...

Love the update! I'm impressed with how soon! Glad you made it there safely. That house is adorable, can't wait to come visit!!! Can't believe you are living with no gas. Can't wait for more & more & more pictures of the house and what your up to. Miss you tons, it still doesn't seem real that you are gone I just keep expecting a text about going to lunch or something! :( Just means we'll have to come visit soon!!!!! Good luck with the rest of the getting settled, sounds like you've pretty much got that taken care of! IMPRESSIVE, it took me a good month when we last moved!

the cummard family said...

i can't believe you're actually gone from az. looks so nice there tho, and i'm sure you're getting used to the change. tell me the beach is a "walk" away from your house. i am so jealous! miss you already!

See it Try it Love it said...

This post is making me miss you. Your house is adorable, I can't wait to see more pics of it. Sounds like you are getting settle really fast I can't believe you already posted. Way to go. Keep it up!

Abby Runyan said...

I'm so excited. I can't wait to see more pictures. It makes me miss Ithaca. I'm so glad you already posted I was dying to hear about how it all went. Can't wait to hear more about it!!! YEAH you are a east coaster!!!

Amber said...

Such a cute house! I cannot believe how fast you guys got settled right in. Super jealous of how close you guys are to the beach. Keep the posts coming. We sure do miss not having you on Elgin Street.

Maddy said...

I'm so glad you're able to get internet. That was going to be a long 3 years without you otherwise. The kids still wonder if they can play with you guys. It is so sad when I can't just call you to borrow something. I guess I'll just have to visit my sister a lot. Can you run a stick of butter over to my sister's house??

I love the beach picture! I'm sure there will be many of those. Hope you enjoy a nice hot shower tomorrow!!

Oh -- and it just rained last week. It didn't rain at all while we were there and the humidity wasn't horrible, so there is an upside: the weather can only get better from here.

Can't wait to see more picture.

Brittney Smith said...

I'm glad you guys made it safely. I love, love, love, old houses. Love the shutters!! So Cute! I hope you guys have fun with your new adventure!

Flaherty Fam said...

Wow, you guys have gone through some major changes. I do love your cute house. I'm sure it will be an adjustment, but in a couple years you will be able to look back and be thankful for the experience. I hope you get hot water soon and that it will stop raining at least a couple days for you. Wow, the rain and humidity alone would probably kill me. We already miss you guys!! Even though you won't have internet I hope you keep posting, so we can see what new things you are up to.

Anonymous said...

Your new/old house is so cute! Old houses have such character. I love the blue bathroom! Now just get some hot water in that tub and it will be perfect! I hope it's back on by now. That's so fun to live so close to the beach. Tell Noah good luck with school!

Maddy said...

Oh I meant to tell you -- you have to get a GPS to figure out the roads out there.

chris+amber said...

I can't believe you're already out there and pretty much settled. Your house is too cute for words! What a fun place to live for 3 years! I'll miss seeing you at the gym. I know my girls will miss seeing your kids at the gym too. Thanks for the kind comments on my blog. You're so sweet! Thank goodness for blogs so we can keep up with you guys! Good luck with school & everything!