Friday, March 26, 2010

D.C. trip

Last weekend we took a little trip up to D.C. We have been dying to go since we got to VA and our fun friends from our Chandler street were going to be there visiting family. It was sooo great to see them!! I got to see Maddy about a month ago but this time she brought the whole clan! It made me realize how much I really miss my old neighbors! We were a pretty close group of friends.
Noah took the day off Fri. so we headed up in the morning. We stopped at the Williamsburg outlets to take part in Gap friends and family and then the drive takes 4+ hours so we didn't get there until about 2. The reunion was great! The kids just kind of laughed when they saw each other. Maddy's Dad took Brody and Nate to a gun show and the rest of us headed to Frying pan park. It was the coolest park. It was more like a petting farm park.

Ronan loved catcin a ride on Lukes stroller

And he has been obsessed with babies lately so he was loving on Luke.

Later that night we ate at 5 guys. It was super delish and can't wait to go again. Maddy's Dad treated us all...they were the best hostesses! Then that night we had the 3 older Roger kids over to sleep at our hotel. It was a little crazy but the kids loved it!! Until we got a knock at the door with the man under us telling us to be quiet...haha it was funny!

The next day was all business. We had a mission to see as much as we could with 6 kids.

We started at Arlington cemetery. This was my favorite place we saw. There are signs all over telling you to be quiet to honor those who lost their lives. It was really peaceful and beautiful.

The Eternal Flame (where the Kennedy's are buried)

The Tomb of the unknown Soldier. This was so fun to see! We walked up just in time to see the changing of the guards...which is amazing.

A view of some of the tombs. These white tombs go on for as long as you can see!

Next we made the long trek to the Lincoln Memorial. It was probably about 2 miles! The kids did so great.


Washington Monument in the background



Korean War Memorial. This was cool to see since my Grandpa Doane fought in this war.
WWll Memorial...go AZ!!

Later that evening, the Rogers offered to watch our kids while we went to the Temple. I had never seen it and boy was it the most beautiful building you have ever seen!! Especially at night. You drive through this awesome park with cool huge houses all over and then up on a hill is the Temple. Seriously so excited I finally got to go!!
Sorry for the bad picture. We only had Noah's iphone...with no flash.

It was the perfect trip. Perfect weather, very little traffic (which is amazing for dc), and perfect company. Thx Roger and Joachim families for making our first D.C. trip so special!!

8 comments:

See it Try it Love it said...

Ok first my favorite part of that story would have to be that you threw in a Gap friends and family!!!! Sadly I didn't get to go since my only friend who tells me about it was in VA. Next Washington is my absolute Favorite place in all of the U.S. I have been there a couple of times and I just love it. The Lincoln Memorial is my fav. spot. That is so exciting for you guys. I can't wait till I get to come and visit.

Krystal Arnett said...

Sounds like you guys had so much fun! We want to go to DC so badly. We need to plan a time to come visit next year and then do a trip to DC, that would be so fun! I love all the pics. Ronan looks so much like Sadie; he is getting so big. So, I haven't talked to you since your parents came to surprise you. I almost spilled the beans when I talked to you the night before. You were asking me to send a pic of your mom and I almost said "Well your going to see her tomorrow" ha ha good thing I caught myself and didn't ruin the suprise! Talk to you soon!

Anonymous said...

What a fun trip! That's one of the neat things about living back east. SO many cool places to visit. Glad you had such a great time! And it's always nice to see a familiar face when you live away!

Amy F. said...

Wow! What an amazing trip (I had a double take when I saw Ellie in the first pic before I read the captions, like 'Am I on the right blog?', haha). So cool you guys and your kids got to do that!! DC is pretty amazing. I felt like I was right back there with ya.
I have to say that the DC temple is tied with my favorite, the San Diego temple. It is so beautiful!!
What a neat experience!!

Flaherty Fam said...

What a fun trip! I love D.C. I went their when I was like 8, but can talk about it like it was yesterday. I am dying to take Brett there. It's so fun to make such good friends out of neighbors...we feel blessed to have the same. I love Sadie's cute little pose in front of the Washington Monument...so hilarious.

Maddy said...

I'm so glad you drove all the way up for us. And did all that walking. And had all the kids sleep over at your hotel room. Sorry I was slightly stressed out the whole time. Did you know as soon as we got home we had to speak in church. BLECH! So obviously I didn't check messages until today. Sorry about that. Obviously you know Beau is home and healthy and don't worry about the pants.

LOVE AND MISS YOU!

Casey said...

Great pictures...looks like you guys had a great time!! Beau has that same Paul Frank shirt that Ronan has on. Ronan is looking so grown up these days. Keep posting pics (and I need to do the same)!

the waites said...

How fun! What an educational trip for the kiddos. I cant believe how old Brody looks.

they have 5 guys?? I thought that was a Utah chain. Its super good, I have loved burgers this pregnancy.yikes.