Tuesday, January 8, 2008

The week and a 1/2 I do not wish upon anyone...

Many of you know that Sadie just spent 10 days in the Hospital. It's been a crazy couple of weeks, but she is home now, and doing great!!
It all started the day after Christmas....she woke up and started throwing up, and it didn't stop for three days. At first I just thought she had the 24 hour bug everyone was getting, but when she was not pooping for three days and we were not getting sick, I knew something was wrong. On the Fri. after Christmas we took her to the ER because she was beyond dehydrated and was totally non responsive. They immediately put her on and IV to start hydrating her. After a couple hours of that her stomach and chest started to get really big, so that meant that something was not letting her intestines and stomach do thier job. So they ended up doing a Colonoscopy so see what was casuing the blockage. They could not see anything, so we spent the night there while her stomach got bigger by the hour and was in so much pain. That was probably one of the worst nights of my life. Seeing your child in so much pain, and not being able to do anything about it is the worst thing you have to go through! So the next day they were going to do a Cat Scan to see what was going on, but before then, the Surgeons assistant came in to see her and after seeing how bad her stomach looked and how she was totally non responsive, the Surgeon decided to do surgery right away. That was really the hardest thing I have had to do. There's something about seeing your child being wheeled away by doctors and not really knowing what is going on is pure torture. I was a wreck! Thankfully most of Noah's brothers and sisters and Mom and Dad came to the rescue and kept us company while we sat and waited for the surgery to be over. After about three hours, the surgeon came in and told us the surgery went great! He found a "congenital band", something that she had been born with, around the bowel part of her intestines that had been totally closed shut, causing her to get all backed up, and a part that was about to erupt because of the pressure. It had actually started infecting other things inside because it was dead intestines(yea, I know, this sounds crazy but it really happened!). He said if he would have waited another day he was almost sure in would have erupted and caused all that "crap" to be everywhere in her stomach and it would have been "really bad"! He also took out her appendix because it was right there and he didn't want any other problems going on in that spot down the road. What a relief that was! The surgeon was amazing! We really owe so much to him.
After surgery she spent about 4 days in the PICU, recovering. She was hooked up to just about every tube you can think of. She had 4 IVs going into her, a breathing tube, a tube going into her nose to her stomach pumping all the bile stuff out, and a catheter. That's a total of seven tubes and 4 sensors all working at once. Yea, she had a lot going on. It was pretty hard to see her like that, but I knew that the problem had been fixed and she was on the road to recovery! Slowly but surly they started pulling tubes out of her.


(This pic is in the PICU after they had removed a few of her tubes) After the 4 days in the PICU she spent about 4 days in the regular pediatrics unit. On about day 7 is when she started talking to us a little and was able to get out of bed and walk around a little. Then slowly she was able to have drinks and then food. The last couple days were really hard, because she was so ready to go home, but they had to see that she could keep food down and then be able to poop it out. On the day they were going to take her nose tube out, she actually pulled it out herself! I didn't even know she had done it! It actually was better that way I think!
So now we are home and all doing great! We want to thank everyone who helped, prayed for us, called, even thought of us! We really have realized that we have the best families and friends in the world! We've been able to realize how much we were blessed throughout this whole ordeal. It stinks that you have to go through things like this to make you realize how greatful you are for good health.
(This is right before we went home. She totally lost weight, as you can see.)

31 comments:

Kat said...

So crazy. We are so glad that everything has turned out well for Sadie- and that you guys are getting back to normal. Have a good night!

Leah Fitts said...

ohhh poor girl. nat told me the story and i am so glad to hear that everything is okay! give her a lil hug for me. she is soo sweet....

Janel said...

It was so good to see her running around and playing tonight....We really missed you when you were gone!! :D

Cory♥Jessica said...

Im so glad that Sadie is ok. Vanessa told me a little bit about it, and I felt so bad cuz Sadie is the cutest little girl. Its good to see the smiling faces.

Casey said...

Wow, sounds like she was very lucky!! I'm glad she's home and can't wait to see you guys!

Amy F. said...

Jill and Noah -It was almost too much to even think about when I first heard the news. Plus, being pregnant (you too) I was extra emotional about it. I just wanted to give you and your family big, giant hugs. I'm so glad Sadie is home and well. I'll be giving those hugs soon... when I drag myself and my big belly out of this house!

Natalie Hall said...

I am so sorry, that is every mothers nightmare.
I wondered if everything in the Tyler home was ok, because there was no blogging going on, sure enough this horrible story showed up.
I just can't even imagine your emotions, good thing you and Noah are solid rocks. Jill I am so glad to hear things are going back to normal. She is a little princess.

Hopefully you are feeling well also. Good luck with adjusting back to life.

chris+amber said...

Sheesh...I'm glad Sadie's ok. That is so scary! You poor thing. No mother should ever have to go through something like that. I had been wondering what was up with you since your blog hadn't been updated in awhile & I haven't seen you at the gym in awhile too. Hope everything keeps getting better!

Chelsea said...

Jill! I am so sorry to hear about Miss Sadie girl. Things like this make me sad I am not "home" to help. I am glad that she is at home and you guys can get back to "normal". Hope you are all doing okay! She is so sweet. Makes me sad seeing all the tubes in her. I agree: hospitals and tubes are the worst if it means kids invovled. Take care!

The Collins said...

We are so glad that Sadie is okay now. That is so scary and horrible to see your little one in pain and having all sorts of chords and tubes. She is such a cute little girl. So glad she had good doctors to take care of her.

SunGood said...

Oh my gosh Jill I am so sorry! I had no idea! Poor baby! What a tough little girl!! What can I do for you guys?? I am so happy that they were able to find the problem and fix it! Seriously keep me posted on everything!! And tell what I can do!

Anonymous said...

Poor, poor Sadie. How sad that she (and you) had to go through all of that. Abby told me about it and I kept thinking about you guys and hoped everything would be ok. I'm SO glad she is home and doing better. I bet you are glad to be home too. What a traumatic experience. Thanks for the update and keep us posted!

Nicole said...

Jill- I'm so happy that Sadie is home and doing good! I really thought about you guys everyday. I'll tell you about the night I found out what was going on later!!! Ok, even though she looks so sad laying there in the hospital bed SHE IS SOOOO DANG CUTE!! I mean it. Do you kids ever have bad hair days?? We are all so glad everything turned out for the best! Love ya!

the waites said...

My eyes totally got teary eyed reading that. Im so sorry that happened. Im so happy everything is OK. I thought i had a bad day cause I got in a fenderbender in the peoples car were housesitting for. My fault...Im screwed! But after I hit the guy all I could do is kiss Myles thankful he was alright. Oh little Soph looks so cute with her princess.

the waites said...

I dont know why I said Soph I knew it was Sadie.

THE ROGERS FAMILY said...

Oh Jill...I was wondering where you were in the blogging world. I am so sorry for all the pain that you all had to go through. Her physically and you emotionally. Glad to hear that she is doing well now. Please give her a little hug from the Rogers. I see her at the gym sometimes when I am picking up my kids and she comes up to me and says "hi". What a doll. Hope you are doing well pregnancy wise.

the cummard family said...

so glad everything is ok, and that you are finally home.

Flaherty Fam said...

Oh my goodness! I feel so bad that I didn't even know all your fam was dealing with. I am so glad to hear everything is fine with Sadie now and your life can return back to normal. I would be an absolute wreck. I never knew what it was like for a parent to want to take the pain away from a child suffering until you become a mother. Well, you are a wonderful mom and I hope Sadie will realize someday how much she is loved.

Abby Runyan said...

WOW!! what a christmas break. It broke my hear to see her like that, I can't imagine how you must have felt. thankgoodness it's over and she is better.

☂niki. said...

omg jill!! i had no idea it was so bad and that you were in the hospital for 10 days!!! poor thing! she is such a cutie! i'm so glad everything is all better!!! we love you guys so much!! well, its all over with now, but still, if there is anything we can do, let us know!!!

Smith Crew said...

I had no idea any of this even happened. I am so so sorry Jill. I can't even imagine... You're an inspiration I hope you know, staying so srtong and in the end being able to find some good in it all. What a power-house woman! We are so glad she's home with you guys now.

Lynsey said...

Poor thing, Im glad shes is doing better.

Unknown said...

How scary! I'm so glad that everything is OK now and that stinks that you all had to spend so much time in the hospital - especially you, being pregnant! I totally agree with you when you say that going through trials makes you realize what great families and friends you have.

Maddy said...

Those pictures make me so sad! :( I'm glad she's home and driving you crazy again :D

S and K said...

I can't believe all of that!!! I hope Sadie is doing well!!! She is just the sweetest little thing--plus Ethan needs his girlfriend to get better soon so they can hangout! So we need to do lunch (maybe lunch in) soon. Talk to you later!

Lindsie said...

Oh I can't imagine what you went through. I am so glad that everything turned out ok. The last picture is very cute and you can tell she is ready to go back home.

Suzy Cummard said...

OH MY GOODNESS. So scary.
I am glad she is doing better now. How the heck will she ever gain the weight? She is so tiny as it is.

The ZOO? How fun... but Ellie is getting surgery on her mouth that morning... so I guess we'll invite ourselves on the next trip! Thanks Jill!

Amanda C said...

Poor little girl. It is amazing how tough little kids can be. Sometimes I think that they are so much stronger than we are. She is such a cutie. Glad everything turned out okay.

The Foster Family said...

Had no idea about your ordeal, and now it is over! Glad it ended happy and that Sadie is doing good!

Caralee said...

Wow! I am so glad that things turned out so well. What a scary thing to have to go through.

Krystal Arnett said...

Jill, I haven't looked at your blog yet because I don't think I was ready to hear that story again. Every time I think about her lying in that hospital bed, I start crying. I can't believe how strong and brave that little girl is. She seriously is the sweetest thing ever and she totally entertains our family. I am so glad everything is better and I feel so terrible we didn't visit more. We took our vacations at the wrong time. Emi and Matix prayed for her so much that they still pray for her in every prayer! It is really cute. See ya soon!